Copying Music to Your PS3
Before I start, here’s a quick tip about copying music to your PS3 using a USB memory stick. On the XMB go to Music->USB Device. Then press TRIANGLE and select ‘Display All’. From there select ‘Copy Multiple’. This will ensue your PS3 will find and copy all the music on the USB stick.
The Bad Guys
Aside from basic fodder, you will come across the following bad guys. And here’s how to deal with them:
Now the game is out on PSN here’s some exclusive insider gameplay, tactics and trophy tips.
Best Defence: Don’t waste powerups on these. Kill with standard weapon
Best Defence: A well aimed Ultra Beam blast can take out 4 or 5 at a time
Best Defence: Standard weapon or Micro Missiles if no direct line of fire
Best Defence: Micro Missiles. Shield will neutralize pull force
Best Defence: Micro Missiles. Shield will neutralize push force
Best Defence: An Ultra Beam will kill the ship and most of the missiles. Kill with shield to convert missiles to your side!
Best Defence: Micro Missiles or Ultra Beam to the flank
Ultra has 23 unlockable & upgradeable perks. A perk is unlocked each time you level up. Each perk must be purchased and upgraded using in game cash.
To start with you should unlock the ‘POW POW POW’ & ‘Pump Up the Vol’ perks. Enabling these will give you more firepower at the start. And when fully upgraded you will start with maximum firepower and the Beat Hazard weapon activated.
After that I would recommend unlocking Micro Missiles followed by either Ultra Beam or Reflect Shield. These will give you a lot more fire power and allow you to tackle harder difficulty levels.
Once you’re a badass, you can start to focus on the scoring perks. Enabling these in any combination will massively increase your scoring ability – remember Beat Hazard Ultra uses a non-linear scoring system, so you can quickly go from scoring a few thousand per song to a few million! So don’t feel bad if your scores seem low compared to those on the leader boards.
Perk Loadout Tactics
Perks split into two categories, scoring and firepower. Scoring perks increase your ability to score points in various ways, for example ‘Score Booster’ adds a percentage to any points you gain. Firepower perks enhance your ability to kill / survive the onslaught of bad guys.
Choosing the correct loadout can massively change your survivability and potential score. You need to get the balance just right to get the highest score for any particular situation. You can go in armed to the teeth but might not score much, or die a horrible death in the middle of a tune through lack of adequate weaponry.
In general, the longer the song the more weapons and survival perks you will need. With short songs you can sacrifice all this in favour of a complete scoring loadout.
There are 3 unlockable weapons, Micro Missiles, Ultra Beam and Reflect Shield.
Ultra has 42 challenges to complete. Each time you complete any 3 challenges you will receive a trophy. Complete all 42 to unlock all the trophies.
Here are a few tips on some of the more difficult challenges:
If you’re playing online or local head to head, here are some cool tips:
- Bosses are scored per hit, so don’t go for the kill, get as many hits are you can
- If your opponent dies, grab all his pickups before he re-spawns
- Hang out near the top of the screen to grab bombs and multipliers
- Steal kills with a well timed super bomb. E.g. when a ring of Pulsars are on screen
- Play chicken at the start. Try to build up your dare devil multiplier before the carnage starts
- The yellow Beat Hazard logo will be next to the score that is the highest. Useful for checking if you’re winning with a quick glance.
- Turn on the Shield and sit over the boss turret. Missiles fired will instantly change sides and go for the boss! (You can also do this with Reapers)
- Play Boss Rush and turn off weapon perks to collect lots of cash
The Serpent boss will try to coil around you when he’s 70% dead. Watch out!
- The Octo-Boss will coil up when you get close. When coiled he’s invincible. Spread your fire around in a wide arc to kill him quickly.
- The Last Star Fighter Death Blossom looks nice, but it’s not an effective tactic on harder levels.
- Play Chill Out mode if you want to try weapons you’ve not unlocked yet.